This will likely come as a shock to no one, but I'm something of a product junkie.
My stash of makeup and skincare products is vast and ever-growing and as my husband alleges, "out of control." I think I get some sort of high from scouring through product after product in hot pursuit of something glorious and groundbreaking. I feel like I've elected myself as guinea pig for an experiment nobody assigned me to. But I trudge on.
I like to convince myself (and my husband) that it's for the greater good because I share my findings with you guys. You're my muse (as well as my excuse—so thank you!).
Through my chronicles, I feel I've formed some solid standards. I've learned what to look for, what to be cautious or leery of, and (in women's magazine speak) what to "save on" and what to "splurge on."
Inevitably, I've been swindled by some overrated duds (which I promptly return), but sifting through the rubble has allowed me to stumble upon some absolute diamonds in the rough. And every once in awhile, a brand comes along that I fall completely in lust with—or in this case, completely in LUSH with.
If you were previously unfamiliar, it is my enormous pleasure to introduce you to LUSH. *pause for standing ovation* This one's a keeper.
There are so many things I love (and admire) about the LUSH brand - the obvious being their ultra-fresh products made from natural ingredients and essential oils.
And since 70% of what we put on our skin is absorbed into our bloodstream and organs, it's a high priority for me to be mindful of finding and using the freshest, healthiest, and most natural products on myself and on my clients.
To that end, LUSH is a goldmine. I love it.
Their philosophy makes my hippie heart sing.
In a nutshell:
- Cruelty-free products (no animal testing) - in fact, they actively fight against animal testing
- Recycled packaging (if you bring back an empty pot, you can get a fresh face mask for FREE!)
- Limited preservatives in products
- Products handmade by LUSH employees
- ETHICAL BUYING
- Fresh ingredients (natural instead of the cheaper synthetic imitations). Even though this is kind of inconvenient for my online-buying preferences, a number of their products are available IN STORES ONLY / aren't sold online in an effort protect the freshness and integrity of the ingredients. Proving, yet again, that they're willing to forfeit profits to maintain their core values. I LOVE IT.
- Charitable efforts (every penny made from their "Charity Pot" body lotion is donated - so far over $10mil to 850 charities in 42 countries! <3 )
One other thing I adore about LUSH products is that on the bottom of the container, they put the name and photo of the employee who conjured up my product as well as the date he/she made it. Personal touch. Provides accountability. Just great. I love it. (How many times have I said that so far? I need to rope it in.)
Okay, I'm going to stop singing the praises of the LUSH brand right now - you can go here to read their whole luscious story - and turn my attention to some of their premier skincare products.
My top three personal favorite LUSH skincare products are:
ROSY CHEEKS FRESH FACE MASK
Why I love it:
- It smells divine
- It works wonderfully (leaves my skin looking brighter, calms inflammation/reduces redness, and makes my skin super soft)
- It "restores balance," hydrating my skin while evening tone
- Rose/rosehip oil, one of my absolute favorite essentials for its bevy of benefits, is packed with vitamins, antioxidants, and essential fatty acids. Skin-related beauty benefits include: correcting dark spots, hydrating skin, and reducing the appearance of scars and fine lines
MAGICAL MORINGA MOISTURIZER
Why I love it:
- "Magical" is not overselling it. It's a miracle elixir of power-ingredients, including...
- ARGAN OIL! Liquid gold! It's a healing potion on its own—packed with antioxidants, omega-6 fatty acids, linoleic acid, and vitamins, crucially vitamins A & E.
- And, again, ROSEHIP OIL! (I told you; I love it)
- It moisturizes perfectly and primes beautifully, creating a velvety matte finish to my normally oily/combination skin while supplying my skin with hydration. MAGIC!
I've recommended this product to several people. This moisturizer has the consistency of a lip balm (as previously noted, LUSH makes their products into solid form so they can ditch the environmentally harmful packaging and preservatives harmful to humans).
If the consistency bothers you, rub it between your fingers/hands to warm it up before applying it to your face.
This is my hero because it eliminates the need for an excess of products, since this moisturizes AND primes. I think my foundation always looks best with this underneath.
I have really uneven skin (acne and scars, and then blotchiness FROM the acne and scars) so it's really difficult to make my face look airbrushed.
These are pretty harsh photos, and the lighting is pretty poor but I wanted a quick photo for this post. You can still see some texture issues, but it has vastly improved them.
DON'T LOOK AT ME FRESH FACE MASK
Why I Love It:
- It smells fruity and citrus-y
- It makes my skin really bright and vibrant because it removes dead surface skin, which means it also...
- makes my skin really soft and smoothe
- It's good for acne-prone skin, like mine
- Kaolin clay, an active ingredient in the mask, soothes, nourishes, and detoxifies the skin in addition to improving circulation. In fact, it's often used to treat a variety of skin conditions, including minor cuts and cold sores.
This post got a lot longer than I intended so if you're still hanging on, I applaud your perseverance. You're a real gem. :)
If you try the Rosy Cheeks or Don't Look at Me masks or the Magical Moringa moisturizer, please let me know what you think! And, of course, I'd also love to hear from you if you join me in obsessive product testing and you happen to stumble upon something else fabu-LUSH. :)
have a lovely day.